With the holiday season upon us, many will be traveling through the remainder of the 2014 calendar year. Thus, it’s important to keep a strong immune system to help block any and all unfriendly bacteria and viruses during your journeys to and fro. Since my schedule tends to include a great deal of travel throughout the year, I was led to locate the best mix of ingredients to protect myself from colds, and other air-born illnesses. Germs lurk in both the open and hidden places; in airports, planes, rental cars, hotels and all stops inbetween! Mass amounts of people = tons of germs. YUCK!!! After much trial and error, I’ve found the items listed below incredibly helpful in the fight against travel bugs, and wanted very much to share with all of you.
Without further delay, here are my top 5 travel remedies!
1. Astragalus- My go to herb of choice! It’s sold in multiple forms; whole root, liquid, pill/capsule, powder and tea. It’s an herb that helps support and strengthen the immune system. The healthier your system, the easier it is to ward off colds and flu. You can’t go wrong with this powerful remedy. An absolute MUST!!!
2. Flu Busting Smoothie- This is the most superb smoothie to help rid, or keep the sniffles away. I absolutely love it! It’s not only delicious, but full of the earth’s healing goodness too. You’ll need 1 cup of orange juice, 1/2 cup of lemon juice, 1 tbsp of raw honey, 1 piece of ginger (or powder form,) 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper, 1/2 cup of chopped pineapple, 1 tbsp of coconut oil, and 1 tsp of peppermint oil-(which I have left out before when I didn’t have any peppermint oil, yet still experienced the same benefits.) I’d also recommend use of organic products of the aforementioned, if at all possible. You can purchase a mini travel blender to pack while on the road, and pick up the items upon arrival to your destination, or prepare ahead of time for a quick liquid meal for your road trip or pre-flight! This smoothie is the real deal!!!
3. Honey, cinnamon, and ginger — This may sound simple, but it’s a fantastic, quick and easy option at any time, and especially before a trip. I’m sure you noticed all of the items here are listed in the flu busting smoothie above. Why?… Because all of these goodies have amazing health benefits. I recommend raw honey if you’re able to purchase from a farmer’s market, but if not, get the purest form that you can find- at least one that reads 100% pure, or a Grade A quality, to get the most out of the mixture. Again, raw honey is best! Just place some honey on a spoon, along with a good shake of cinnamon, and ground or a very small piece of grated ginger root. This blend of ingredients works, and well! You’re sure to feel spectacular!!!
4. Garlic water- Yep, it’s not the most pleasant smell, but it works! Drop a few cloves of this super-food into a 1-2 quart pot (depends on if you use the entire bulb, or just a few cloves; more garlic = more water) boil, strain, let cool, and sip! Not only will this help ward off germs, but just about every bacterial and respiratory infection. There are so many positives that I’d need an entire page. Garlic is golden!!! This one is all thanks to my late Grandma!!
5. Oil of Oregano- A best kept secret. Most haven’t heard of this one, but it is an unbelievable remedy. In liquid form, it has an unsettling taste, so you will need to use in accordance to what you can handle. Test it out on your initial use, and work it into your health plan as needed. It can be used in juice to lessen the harshness of the taste, and you don’t want to overuse. BUT… once you get the hang of this rare gem, it will knock out a sore throat, cold or any number of other ailments in record time! A definite for the medicine cabinet, AND luggage!!! I won’t go into a ton of detail here, but if you use alot of this, you will need to do so in conjunction with a probiotic to ensure you don’t do away with too much of the good bacteria in your body. (I’d need to do a piece on herbs to explain.) The benefits are endless, but do your homework, and monitor your use.
Of course there are many herbs and remedies on the market, but these are 5 of my favorites! They work, and for those of us constantly on the road and/or in the air, it’s important that we keep a healthy immune system. The various climates and environments can certainly take a toll on any system. My top 5 are all very easy to pack or easy to make. Make them a part of your regular travel itinerary. Try them out and let me know what you think! Safe travels, and stay healthy.